Thursday, November 8, 2007

Long weekend ahead

Today in class we reviewed argumentation. I don't know how much was a review and how much was new information, but I hope it was useful. We skimmed the Hacker chapter on Argument. Students who didn't have the book received copies of the chapter. I ran out if copies, but more are available at my office. Let me know if the folder is empty. I ordered the DVD set on New Heroes from PBS. I want to share a few of the social entrepreneur stories with you.

I think we went over the evaluating a website assignment Tuesday. If we haven't, let me know. I'll show you the Argumentation video next week and we'll talk more about logic. Please add the reflection on "What is an essay" (handout) to the assignment check-list (10/17).

I have incorrect dates on the Research Essay schedule. We corrected them: 11/8 Planning Sheet and resource list due; 11/15 Introduction and Conclusion; 11/20 first draft of essay due; 11/29 final draft of essay due

Today the planning sheet and resource list was due. Start reading, contact your agency and set up a date for the interview. Give yourself time to do the background research first.

I will be emailing students their grades sometime before Monday. If your midterm grade is a C-or a D you have to revise your essay. Revisions need to include the original graded paper along with the essay you'd like considered. I also want students to write a separate narrative explaining what you did to improve the essay. This reflective piece doesn't have to be long.

Please turn in revisions a week after you receive it back or by prior arrangement. If you have the corrected essay electronically, you can email the package to me, or you can give it to me as a hardcopy. It's your choice.

Some students have not turned in their midterm essays. To pass the class you have to complete the midterm. The cut off for this essay is next week so those who have not gotten it in, this is your last chance unless we have made other plans. My office hours are MW 9-11. I am sometimes a little tardy getting over to L-236, but I am coming, wait for me. Tuesday and Thursday after 12 noon is a possibility if arranged in advance.

Keep reading the Guy book, "Evolution of a Revolutionary." My book has walked; my name is in it. If anyone knows it's whereabouts I'd appreciate its return. Thanks! You can read up to chapter 7 for the next meeting. Don't forget to keep reading logs. We'll continue the hardy discussions on Thursdays, along with the Elements of Style discussions.

Remember the veteran's over the holiday recess. I returned most if not all of the essays I received as hardcopies. If you missed class or left early, email me and I will send your grade to you. I am not leaving essays for people to pick up for confidentiality reasons.

No comments: