Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Elephant Man

Today in class we read Bernard Pomerance's Elephant Man. We ended at Scene 15 "Ingratitude." It was quite fun with students doubling up and tripling up as members of the cast. The homework is to write a response to the play so far. John Merrick (Elephant Man) reminds me of Tupac Shakur and societies attempt to cast him in the role of other and almost succeeding. Post your essay response to the play here. If you need a copy of the play I have left one in the bin outside my office for you to review.

We will complete the play Thursday and work on the drafts for the scenes taken from Evolution of a Revolutionary to be performed next Tuesday. At this point all the research essays should be in. If they are not in, I presume we have had a conversation.

Oh, we are going to dinner next week at Delancey Street Restaurant in San Francisco. Students let me know tentatively those who can make it. If you like we can go to breakfast during our scheduled final somewhere in Alameda or Oakland if that would be preferable. Let me know. Some students have not been showing up. Are you okay?

The portfolio requirements will be given out Thursday in class, and I will show students a portfolio from last semester so you can have a sense of what's required.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In class today, we read part of Elephant Man by Bernard Promerance. I have heard of Elephantitis and have heard a little about the disease but I haven't ever heard this story. So far, I am really enjoying reading the play in class. The characters can get a little confusing with people reading multiple parts but I think that up to this point, I've been able to follow what is going on. I am reading the part of the doctor, Frederick Treves, and so far I don't know if I really like him. I think he has the capabilities of being a very caring man, but so far he seems to be very apathetic. I hope that as the story continues, he sees the true character of John Merrick and begins to realize that there is a human being with feelings and thoughts behind his "grotesque" shell.
John Merrick's character is just begining to shine through. For a while, all we knew of him was about his appearance and we hadn't even had the opportunity to see how he felt about what was going on with him. When the actress, Mrs. Kendal came into the story, her and John had interactions and through those were the times when we saw and began to understand how he felt about his life. I am excited to see what comes of this story and how the characters develop from begining to end.
-Jenni Enderlein

Anonymous said...

I began reading the Elephant Man just today. Ms. Sabir and Jenni caught me up with what had happened so far. Seems to me that the Elephant Man, also known as John Merrick, can be compared to Tupac Shakur. Their physical appearance and trying to fit in society. Each with their own special personality, they go through stages in trying to conquer the obstacles given to them, these obstacles is life. Even as i started the play late, i found it very interesting of how society puts these restrictions on what can and cannot be done. The class system in Britain is very important and others who do not have the money, are not cared for. Frederick Treves is a surgeon that only operates if money can be provided upfront and believes in science rather than God himself. His character reminds me of society itself. Help is only offered if you have something to give in return. These characters are symbols of everyday life in the past to the present. In the present, some are still struggling with the social class order. With stars today, like Britney Spears, some are often in trouble but they get out of it easier than regular joes because they have the money. It all adds up to money and power. This play was not like other plays I have read or seen, but it does have the element of love and sadness.
-Mabel Tai

Anonymous said...

John Merrick, also known as the Elephant Man could be compared to Tupac Shakur. John was a very intelligent man who saw the world for what it was instead of how society viewed the world. Tupac, was very similar. Both John and Tupac could be described as "abnormal" from societies point of view. Each of them were filled with dreams of others and each wanted the world to be a better place and they both cared a lot for others. John, would sacrafice his own feelings for children that he didn't even know. Tupac, also seemed as though he would sacrafice some of himself for others. He risked some of his own "masculinity" by speaking out on how women are treated by rapping about other things most rappers of his time wouldn't even dare to speak of. Both men, were artists at heart who looked at the world from a point of view that many others didn't understand or agree with.

Anonymous said...

Dec 6,2007

"Elaphant Man."

This time Mrs. Kendal didn't speak.

My Character didn't have lines,so I pretty much observed the rest of the characters,who I think did a great job in acthing their parts.

The activity was intresting.

Semhar Kefela.