Sunday, August 31, 2008

AeroSOUL at Joyce Gordon Gallery











I went to a wonderful art exhibit in downtown Oakland Friday night: "AeroSOUL: We Do Fine Art." The exhibit is up at Joyce Gordon Gallery, 406 14th Street, Oakland (14th near Broadway) through Wednesday, Sept. 4, call (510) 465-8928 and www.joycegordongallery.com.

AeroSOUL features the work of the TCB crew: Refa One, Toons One, and Chris Herod. I took a few photos at the opening reception Friday night.

English 1B will head over to the gallery 9/2 for a tour beginning at 9:30 AM. If students want to meet me there this is fine. We will return to campus at 10:30 AM. I'm hoping to get a tour and talk with the artist Refa One. Refa One is pictured here with Malaika. His work is the writing, while Toons uses crayon on canvas and Chris does the larger pieces, (I think.)

If Refa can't make it, maybe the curator, Matema Hadi, can. She writes that AeroSOUL celebrates the "social significance of Spray Can Art and the expanding definition of Fine Art through Urban Street Calligraphy (Writing)."

Bring you notebooks. We will write a review of the exhibit and include commentary from the artist, and research from other sources on hip hop art. Jeff Chang has a chapter in Total Chaos on visual arts (Words and Images: 117). I ordered the book, but it's not in yet.

Call me, and let me know if you have a car and can give classmates a ride. If you don't have a car, you might want to meet us there if you are in Oakland already near downtown. The 51 bus stops on Broadway and 14th Street.

No comments: