Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Presentations

5 students told me they are presenting Thursday, so come on time and we will do the presentations first. Post your freewrites from today, also no one has responded to the poetry homework assignment from last week.

Erica read her essay on Women in Hip Hop, it was excellent. If we have time, Itzel and Ilene will read theirs. I will return your essays on Thursday, if not sooner. Check outside L-235. Please give me your best work. Go see a tutor and get professional feedback before turning the essays in. I am not your editor.

If you give me work with lots of errors, I don't know what you are capable of and I wonder how you got into this level college course. At the English 1B level, students know how to write an essay and how to do research. Errors like: SV Agr., sentence fragments, pronoun antecedent and pronoun case agreement, confused words, parallel structure, verb tense, to name a few, are easily identified in the final edit and corrected at the English 1B composition level.

Everyone should have at least one, one on one workshop critique of your writing. It doesn't take long, but after this one on one, you know what I expect and how I read your work and what I am looking for in the writing.

If you are having trouble, go to the tutoring center in the LRC and get help, this in addition to seeing me at my office hours or by appointment.

Some of you are behind and if you would like to complete the course, make an appointment with me and bring your proposal. I have met with a few students who are already in breach of their verbal contract with me.

Believe it or not, there are students who have not completed one written assignment in this class. This is a writing class and if you are said students, please be in touch. I am here Monday-Thursday starting at 8 AM.

No comments: