Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cyber-Assignment on The Known World In Class Assignment

We're still in review mode. Students received handouts on Paraphrasing and summarizing to keep. Students also received a handout regarding thesis sentences, what they are and what they are not. Complete both packages by Tuesday, Sept. 7.

We read P.S. in The Known World. Students then responded to a series of questions about the book and the author: What do we know about Edward P. Jones, his characters, and the plot from reading the interview?

Some students had books without this interview and the cast of characters in the novel. I made copies of this section, so if you need it, it's in a folder (in a box) outside my office (L-235).

Three Paragraph Response
Students were to write a three (3) paragraph essay using one citation per paragraph: free paraphrase, shorter direct citation and a block quote. Make sure you state your thesis. Include a works cited.

Assignment for Thursday, Sept. 2
Homework is to read the first two chapters in TKW and write a summary response, 500 words where each of you analyzes the characters and story, author's writing style, make hypotheses on where the story is going, discuss themes, etc.

Don't forget to use proper MLA, and include a header. Email the essay to me at: coasabirenglish1B@gmail.com Thursday, Sept. 2 before noon. You can write it in class (smile). There is no class on Thursday, Sept. 2. This is the assignment. It should only take you one (1) hour to write a two page essay. Make sure you include three (3) citations total: one free paraphrase, one short direct quote and a longer citation or block quote.

The MLA should be perfect.

Today's assignment recap
Post the three paragraph essay response to the questions posed in class today, here. If you were absent, you cannot make up this assignment without prior arrangements.

Homework for the weekend
Bring Reed to class Tuesday, Sept. 7. We will start with Nature & Place. Read the author's introduction and the introduction to the section on Nature & Place. Choose a poem from this section to share aloud on Tuesday.

Post a summary of the author's introduction where indicated above by Sept. 2 before class.

Theatre Review
I have had no chance to raise any funds for theatre tickets yet, but I haven't forgotten. I didn't get a chance to tell you about Trouble in Mindat Aurora Theatre.

I liked it, but the first act was a throw away. It make me wonder why I was seated in the theatre. The second act was better, but if you have limited funds, I wouldn't spend it on a play that I only half liked (smile).

I like members of the cast--I am a fan of quite a few of them and I love theatre so much that if I don't like the story, I like the acting, set...I am just addicted (smile).

But you are not, at least I don't think so, so I want to save you time. The play is great if one is interested in a critique on American theater and how biased and narrowly defined it is for all except the dominant cultural police. Childress's protagonist,actress "Wiletta" and the director are a study in stereotype meets carpenter.

So we are not going as a class to this one. There is a play reading on Sept. 20. It is free. I think it is at 7 p.m. It's a Tennessee Williams. Southern writer, I like Williams too. I might go to this. Again, it's free. Let me know. I am really busy next month --lots of plays to see.

I loved Hoyle and I really like Reed. Genny Lim's is free, so you can't beat that (smile).

If you have any questions call me.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: