Monday, June 20, 2011

Letter to Students

June 20, 2011

Dear Students:

I am going to try to make this class as painless as possible, but extractions are sometimes necessary if one hasn't taken care of one's teeth (smile).

How many of you love the dentist and look forward to the twice yearly check-ups? I do, and if I have to get as shot, the dentist rubs a local on my gums were the injection is to occur to lessen the pain from the needle's insertion--I hope to spread a little local pain relief on the class so that you get through surgery with out too many difficulties.

The process is often still painful nonetheless.

I like short sessions--I think the 18-week model is a waste of time. I have taught ENG 1A in 6-8 weeks; ENG 5 in 3 weeks and 6 weeks and ENG 201 in 3 weeks. The secret to all college courses is to stay on top of the reading. You cannot bluff your way through. We are serious scholars and if you haven't done the reading, I am not interested in anything you have to say on the topic no matter what rich perspective you might have re: your life and experiences because you cannot tie it to the text and everything is tied or connected to the text here.

We are not reading for pleasure, watching films for fun or getting together in literature circles to become friends. If we have fun, make friends and enjoy the process, that's great, but we are here to work and sometimes work is not pleasant.

Such uneducated perspectives--that is, students who want to talk but haven't completed the assignments, take the discussion on tangents we cannot afford to visit here; outside discussions are great, but we have to get through this and to do so efficiently we have to be disciplined.

If you are in a discussion group where students are not focused, let me know and I will move you. In fact, we will move to new groups for each genre or type of writing discussed. It might keep you awake if you have to get to know another group of people each week--maybe not.

Good luck this summer. I hope all of you get As (smile).

Peace and Blessings,

Wanda Sabir
Professor of English
Peralta Community College District,
College of Alameda
Office: D-219

No comments: