Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Electorial Politics 2008/A Place Called Destiny -- 2 Cyber-Assignments

This morning we reflected on Election 2008. Students choose a key stakeholder from any Can't Stop, Won't Stop Loop and have him or her respond in a letter to Hip Hop America about Election 2008. Post those reflections here.

We also watched a film, "A Place Called Destiny," about a program in Oakland that uses martial arts, dance, writing and other creative arts as violence prevention. Homework is to discuss the use of dance/theatre as a tool for social change and healing for the community Destiny Arts serves. How is this value supported by Hip Hop culture? Use Chang and the film.

Please email me your research essays and post them where assigned. I sent around a sign-in today for students to give me their email addresses. The papers I graded last week are outside my door (L-236) for pick up. They have been there a week.

Readings
Read "Pure Movement (Total Chaos pp. 59-77). Other chapters we will discuss next: "From the Dope Spot" pp. 78-91; "On Lit Hop" pp. 92-101.

You will have writing assignments attached to the readings. We will write a paper on each element of the hip hop aesthetic. Next is, hip hop theatre. We will go see Angry Black White Boy. We'll read the play in class 11/13. I'll make it available to students 11/6. Email me and I'll send it to you.

The next paper is on hip hop dance: 10th Anniversary of the San Francisco Hip Hop Dancefest 2008, November 21-23 at the Palace of Fine Arts. Visit sfhiphopdancefest.org and (415) 392-4400. There are two entirely different programs, so I'd like to go Sunday, November 23 to the 1 p.m. show (Program A), see the film at 3:30 p.m. and stay for the evening show at 7 p.m. (Program B).

Students can join me for either of the two shows or both :-) We'll finish the film on Thursday and discuss the reading, and start The Coldest Winter Ever. Bring it in along with Elements of Style.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kimberly Peterson
English 1B
Sabir
11/05/2008

First of all, I would like to say... "GO OBAMA!!" (It was an exciting ballot count...)

*Electorical Politics 2008*

Bambaata,
I was thinking the other day, and wouldn't it have been great if we had got all the DJ's from our time together and recreate the 1980's with the biggest house party ever, on the street? We could have started a rally for all of our youth, and played for them, and taught them what we know today. It would have been a nice time to do it around this years election since we all knew who the winner was going to be, but even to help out with the awareness of the importance of voting to getting your voice heard. True as your thinking that most of the young kids on the street arn't even allowed to vote yet, but they are strong infulences to people who are of the legal age in their day to day lives. In hopes that Obama wins the election, it will be a deffinate change for all. We can only go up from here... Things will be different for all, even the Zulu nation. Well, get back at me..

-Herc

*A Place Called Destiny*

I think dance is a really strong tool for self expression. It is more deep then words will ever be. Dancing gives you, and everyone around you a sense of understanding sometimes that cannot be expressed in words. I think that is a really good organization, espeacially for high school kids to get to go to after school, and their free time. As the video explained, "Kids come in tears to me, they feel like this is the only family they have." They create these theartical performances, and a lot of the time it is true stories of what they say. They spread their words of wisdom, with movement and song to let others know that they are NOT ALONE.

Dominique said...

Dominique West
English 1B
Sabir
11/6/08 For: 11/4/08

A place called Destiny...

Watching the video on a Place called Destiny took me back to how I used dance as a way to escape any type of anger that I felt inside. Dance would make me feel as though there was nothing else in the world that mattered. The kids from a place called Destiny foung safety and refuge there. They found a place where some of them could call home and find a sense of self. They tell their own personal story through their movements and people everywhere are able to see what they are saying and understand where they are coming from.

Anonymous said...

Faraj Fayad.

Letter from 2pac about the 2008 election.

Dear fans,

I dont think, I could say, i believed this day would come. It is election day and Barack Obama is almost at the finish line. In one of my songs, i said, "I know it seems heaven seant but we ain't ready to see a black president." I guess time proved me wrong huh?
If you are a fan of myne then you are in favor of peace and change in the world. A change that proves racism is not a problem in the U.S. I am surprized Obama has a chance in winning, because 11 years ago I was writing about racism in my neighboshood and how its a problem in this country. I am glad we have moved closer to becoming a sovereign nation.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Faraj Fayad
english 1B

A Place Called Destiny

The Film "A Place Called Destiny" is a about a dance program for high school students who are depresed, and feel helpless. Taking place in Oakland, California, the program is some what a shelter home for youths who are going through hard times. Going to the program, gives youths a chance to relief stress and any trouble going on in their lives. It like going home to their family (especialy for those who dont have a family or only one parent raising them), when going to the program.

a place called destiny is a place where you can be who you are and meet people from all types of nationalities that are going through similar problems as yours.

Instead of getting into other things like drugs or having the thought of commiting suicide when things arent how you want them to be A Place Called Destiny allows you to shake the bad thoughts out of your system as you dance.

Dancing is a type of art, to some it comes natural but to other its used as a reliever. For the youths that go to a place called Destiny it is to escape the real world and find refuge and peace uder one roof.

tammiaj said...

Dear Hip Hop America my name is Tupac, and I would like to talk to u about this 2008 Election.
I know in one of my songs I said “WERE NOT READY TO HAVE A BLACK PRIESTANT“Time has changed.
Don’t just vote for the color of someone skin color, vote for what feels good to u what u agree on, and
the person you think can really make a change.