Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Can't Stop, Won't Stop CD...Coldest Winter Ever

If you were absent and didn't get your copy of Can't Stop, Won't Stop, CD I have a copy for you.

For those who need to read essay responses to The Coldest Winter, email me. Also, students, please paste the question on the page with the essay response and read your completed essay before submitting it to me out aloud. Use Kurzweil. I have more copies if you need another. I'll be around for two finals tomorrow. I am not here Thursday, Dec. 18. I'm free at 2 p.m. 12/17, and I have an appointment with Kimmy. Following this appointment, if anyone wants to stop by my office let me know. Send me an email or call me.

I like this part of the semester, when students bring in their writing and we finally have a opportunity to workshop it and fine tune the process. It works better when we are revising, and assembling the portfolio but if you have gotten this far, if you are not behind on the reading and know how to write, then you will pass the course.

At the English 1B level there should be no shifts in voice or point of view, any SV Agreement problems, sentence fragments, and clarity issues, like wrong word "WW," missing word MWs. The works cited and bibliography has to be perfect. Oh, I also noted problems with signal phrases--they were absent. You have to introduce quotes.

We write in Standard English. If you want to use slang, quote a character from the book. At the English 1B level students should know the difference between plot summary and analysis. I thought we laid the groundwork for this in the early freewrites and class writing assignments. We practiced developing thesis sentences, summary, outlines and, essay planning and even how to read for information, how to use the index and table of contents.

Many students chose to not buy my books or bring them to class, but you were assigned the proper tools and if you still have them, pull them out now and use them to edit your essays.

Some students didn't cite the book at all or the author in the "Winter" essay. We are scholars, you always have to bring in other reliable, nondebateable, sources. Make sure you read the end of the book where Souljah is asked certain pertinent questions about the text, if you haven't already done so and haven't turned in your essay yet or have to revise it.

No comments: