Thursday, December 11, 2008

LOST?

Some students are confused. This is what happens when you skip class. Read the blog. The checklist I handed out today can be picked up from my office. The assignments are taken from the blog. If you don't remember the assignment, just read the blog. It is there, go back to August 2008. The syllabus is there too along with my email address: professorwandasposse@gmail.com

Your final essay, "The Coldest Winter Ever," is due ASAP, no later than 9 a.m. Monday, Dec. 15. I might not be able to give you feedback if you turn it in then. Some of the essays I am reading are pretty drafty. Students need to edit their essays before submission and if it is a research essay, include the works cited. You should have no more than one citation per page. Each essay should be minimally 4-5 pages long, this includes the works cited page.

This course is about the research process and critical analysis of texts. You are scholars, so your works cited page and bibliography should be correct, no mistakes.

Get help on your essays today, tomorrow and next week. The writing center is open and tutoring is available. My eyes should not be the first professional eyes that have seen your early draft. I don't have time to spend three hours with one student going back and forth on drafts. What you turn in should be as polished as possible.

The goal is a passing grade the first draft. I read essays this morning that did not reflect the type of writing I would expect at this level. Luckily the essay was turned in early, which means there is time to revise for a passing grade.

Some students are really behind...really behind, other students stopped coming and then showed up today LOST. You get out of the course what you put into it and many of you didn't take advantage of academic resources. Many students don't own the books, or academic writing resources?!

I am still appalled 16 weeks later!

If you pass the course, learn from this close call and use the Writing Center, Tutoring services and of course, your professor's office hours for one-on-one consultations.

I have been very available this semester and only a few students came to see me, none of them on a regular basis. This will show in your grade. Only one of your classmates, just one and he came in week 9 or 10.

Come to the study hour Monday, Dec. 15, 9-1, L-226, with your papers digitized. If you can't come, I look forward to your paper presentation of your research on one of the hip hop culture elements. Fill out the checklist and bring that in also.

No comments: