Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thursday, October 15

Today we had a few students trickle in. First there was one and then two and then five (?). I heard that some of you thought I wasn't present because one of the doors to the A-building was locked (?) We meet in A-205 on Thursdays. There are two doors, the one by the elevator is unlocked, students/staff press the disabled person's lever to enter.

Eugene presented two essays: Graf Writing and B-Boying or Hip Hop Dance. Students were to respond to his presentations at the link where we responded last week. What I liked about his Graf Writing presentation was how Eugene chose an artist who doesn't see himself as hip hop but applied those principles to his work. I also liked his references to advertising and how advertising art is nothing more than socially sanctioned graffiti which often is not even what one would call beautiful.

Eugene's hip hop dance presentation was a survey of the genre looking back at its origins. He showed us clips of how the dance has moved from Crazy Legs (the artist he profiled) to international crews from Korea (I think) and another country.

There is no class Tuesday, October 20. Thursday, October 22, we meet again in A-205. We will have a guest.

The freewrite was to respond to a poem from our textbook and post it at the same link you used before. Homework is to respond to another essay from Total Chaos and post the essay response at the same link as before.

Your essays for the next presentations are due October 22. You will present the following week, I think we said, October 29. Correct me Erica, Jermaine, Eugene or others present, if I am not remembering correctly.

The event: Women of the Black Panther Party and Beyond was great. There was a photo of a young Afeni holding Tupac as a baby after she was acquitted after the Panther 21 Trials.

Students only have a week to revise essays, unless other arrangements were made. Some students have not turned in any essays yet. Thursday, October 22, give me your semester plan, which should include a written summary of all the cyber-assignments completed, all the essays you plan to submit and if already submitted, the grades, plus what event you have attended or plan to attend and what work of fiction you are reading. I'd like a summary of the book, plus themes which make it a hip hop novel.

This Narrative should be no less than two-typed pages. Please bring your grammar-style books to class meetings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Itzel Diaz
English 1B

Free write to Poem pg. 46

The poem 48 Hours After You Left by DJ Renegade is a depressing expression of the feelings that someone has after his or her lover has left. Everybody that has been with someone they loved and then seen how that person goes away can relate to this poem. After I read this poem I could not stop thinking about the melancholy I felt every time I broke out with someone for whom I had strong feeling for. It is always hard to imagine your life without that one special someone. DJ Renegade’s poem uses the right words to make others feel like they are the ones going through that situation. When Renegade says, “[t]he telephone has put on a bathrobe, complaining that my constant staring makes it feel naked” (46). I tough about all those times that I waited for that one guy to call, those times when you look at the phone just waiting for it to ring, but it never does.