Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Today in class we reviewed the Classical Argument form by doing some prewriting together around the topic: "choice" using three characters from TKW to illustrate the point: Robbins, Townsend and Skiffington.

We got as far as the Initial Planning and character profiles looking at certain aspects of the character's character such as motivating factors like wants and needs and what each one might have sacrificed to get what he wanted most.

I handed out samples of an essay to students, as well as additional questions to ask to fulfill the assignment which is due Thursday, October 7. Students need to come prepared to present their essays.

Some of the essays I read aloud were not compelling and the evidence used was not the best evidence. We are look for deep analysis at this level of academic writing. The essays don't have to be long, but they have to be powerful.

I also showed a film on Argumentation as well. We'll complete the film on Thursday. If students were absent today, you cannot make up the essay on Thursday, and this essay is part of a three-essay assignment. The next two are die next week: Tuesday and Thursday with presentations.

This is just a fun exercise I decided to try out this semester. It might be a new essay form for some of you.

For the students who have been missing class, drop the class. I am tired of seeing students once a week in a two-meeting class. Many of these students started teh class late.

I will not be gentle in the grading of this 3-part essay project on The Known World. I noticed that only one student, maybe two were involved in the discussion this morning.

This is a writing class, so I am fine with reviewing essay structure and research methods, but I am not going to review grammar without penalizing the student whose paper is rife with errors. Such students will have to write an essay identifying the errors and prescribing a solution based on a grammarian like Diana Hacker. You only have one time to get it right.

I don't think anyone from this class has met with me outside of class. In fact I am waiting right now for a student who never showed (12:15-1:40 PM).

I am leaving now.

We also talked about The Angry Black White Boy which will be our final essay and presentation. Students will chose from the three arguments forms and present an essay based on one of them to the class and in writing.

We will not do the Social Entrepreneur Essay. Oh, students need to use a scholarly source for each essay they write, including The Known World.

No comments: